Current Grant–Giving PolicyThe Trustees have decided that, for the present, grant–giving will be confined to their primary object: the advancement anywhere in the world of the education of the public in the knowledge, understanding and appreciation of the life and works of the late Ralph Vaughan Williams, and similarly of the works of his widow, Ursula Vaughan Williams.
Applicants seeking support for projects concerned with other British composers of the recent past are referred to our sister charity, The RVW Trust, details of which may be found at www.rvwtrust.org.uk.
In so far as finances permit, we are willing to consider applications asking for support in the following areas:
- The publication of hitherto unpublished works of VW or the origination by existing publishers of new scores and performing material for works already published.
- The performance of works by VW, either where they are rarely performed (particularly the operas) or where the context is special, such as local music societies or festivals.
- The recording of neglected VW works, especially the creation of DVDs of the operas.
- Research into the music of VW.
- The acquisition by public institutions of VW research material, such as autograph manuscripts or original correspondence.
How to applyIf your project falls within the policy set out above and you would like to apply for a grant, write to the Director at the address given below giving as much as possible of the information requested in these guidelines. If you are in any doubt please contact the Director. Applications should, as far as possible, include the following information:
- Name, address, daytime telephone number and email address of the person making the application.
- If applying for the first time a brief history of the organisation applying for a grant together with an up–to–date list of the members of the governing body. If you are not applying on behalf of an organisation you should provide a CV outlining your career to date.
- Full details of the project for which help is requested.
- A detailed budget for the project including estimated income and expenditure (including receipts from ticket sales and advertising, grants from other sources, etc). If you are applying for a single event within a series or festival you must supply the budget for the single event rather than the series.
- Details of all outstanding applications for funding to other bodies.
- The most recent set of audited accounts for your organisation and the budget for your current year.
- A recent concert programme for an event by you, if applying as an individual, or by the organisation, if you are able to provide it.
- Your charity and/or company registration numbers where applicable.
- Applicants for support for research projects should include the names of two referees.
For applications for recording projects only.
- Details of pressing size, distribution and marketing.
- Recording and release dates.
Applications should be sent to:
The Vaughan Williams Charitable Trust
Newbury RG20 0AY
Fax: 01635 253191
Trustees’ meetingsTrustees’ meetings normally take place twice a year, in April and December. However many applications for grants can be dealt with by the Director, consulting Trustees as necessary, soon after receipt.
Applicants will be informed of the decision on their application as soon as possible.